Pages

Tuesday 13 December 2016

Summer learning journey

Week 1: Ready, Steady…Go!
World - expanded.png
www.ethnologue.com/world
Day 1 – Choosing a destination
The world is a very big and very cool place. There are currently 196 countries and approximately 7.1 billion people living on earth. For this project we are going to focus on just 10 countries across 6 continents – Canada (North America), Mexico (Central America), Chile (South America), England (Europe), Germany (Europe), South Africa (Africa), United Arab Emirates (Middle East), Japan (Asia), Malaysia (South-East Asia), and Australia (Australasia).
Please click on the World Map tab on the main menu. It will bring you to a big map. One by one click on the names of the countries and ready the ‘Quick Facts’ about each place.

Activities
Activity 1
After you have read the quick facts about each place you must choose ONE country that you would like to ‘visit.’ On your blog post the name of the country and tell us why you have chosen to visit it. Please give, at least, two reasons for choosing the country.
I have chosen australia because it is like my second nz so if nz wasn't around i would be at australia and i have always wanted to visit austrailia


I have chosen australia also because i love the spiders,and kangaroos and koula's
it so cool seeing amazing creatures like that




Activity 2
On Google, research the country that you have chosen to visit and write, in your own words, three interesting facts about that country. They must be facts that weren’t already provided on the World Map.
  • The outback of australia covers most of the land
  • The name of of australia is originated from the latin word australis meaning the southern
  • Australia is the home of very strange yet unique animals such as the emu ,koula and the kookaburra



Bonus Activity
Write a letter to a friend or family member to tell them that you are going to visit your country of choice. In your letter, please tell them where you are going, why you have decided to go to the particular country and how long you will be away. Feel free to invite them to join you, if you’d like!
Dear hone i would like for you to join me on coming to australia o have chosen to go here because i love the animals and life and i will be gone for 1 week come along if your free


Bonus Activity = 5 points


4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Anahere! It is so great to have you back. I was really hoping that you would participate again in the holiday blogging programme and you have already completed two days' worth of activities. Awesome!

    I love that you have chosen to go to Australia as it is a really interesting country. There is so much to see and do there. I have had the chance to visit Sydney and Brisbane but I have never been to the capital city of Canberra. Have you been to Australia?

    If I ever have the chance to go back I will definitely do my best to see some of the amazing creatures that live there including the kookaburra, the kangaroo and the emu. Which of the animals would you like to see the most?

    Keep up the great work this summer, Anahere!

    See you online :)

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'Day Anahere,
    My name is Tania and I am a Manaiakalani Outreach Facilitator - I work in lots of different schools with teachers and learners who, like you, are using chromebooks for their learning and blogs to share their learning. I have been emailing with Rachel and she has told me all about The Summer Learning Journey, good on you for getting started and choosing Australia as your country. As you discovered in your research, Australia is a HUGE country covered by heaps of Outback, would you like to go to the Outback? I was lucky enough to live in Australia when I was in Year 5 and 6 and we went to a place in the Outback called Alice Springs. We saw and climbed a HUGE rock called Ayers Rock, it is very special to the Aboriginal people, they call it Uluru. You may like to check it out on Google Earth. Keep up the great researching, reading, writing, creating and sharing. Enjoy your summer holiday.
    Nga mihi nui
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Anahere!

    I'm Mark - a teacher working for the Summer Learning Journey with Rachel. WOW what a great start to the programme! It sounds like you won it at Pt England for the Winter one which is awesome. This time I would really like you to try and up your game by writing more in-depth answers. I can already sense you are quite good at that by looking at activity 2!

    I have a funny story to tell you about my time in Australia (I lived there for 9 months back when I was 20). Many Australians like to convince tourists that there is such a thing as a "Drop Bear" which looks like a Koala but has fangs and will drop on you from a tree, nearly killing you. They tell tourists this story because then when they go out into the forest to look at Koalas, they always look a bit scared haha. Is that funny or a bit mean? I think it's a funny prank. What animal do you think we could pretend is scary to trick our own visitors?

    I am really looking forward to reading more of what you find out about Australia. All I really remember is that is was very hot and the surfing was good.

    I hope you have a great weekend!

    Take care,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anahere!

    I am really looking forward to reading more of what you find out about Australia! I am always fascinated by other countries and their customs.

    Keep it up!
    Iisa

    ReplyDelete